I once went on a job interview and one of the questions asked me was if I had ever read the company’s mission statement. As a matter of fact, I had, for I had just researched that company, soaking up everything I could learn. When asked what I thought of it, I did not want to tell him that I frankly thought it was gobbly-gook because it had little to do with the company’s true mission. Here is that mission statement: see if you can figure out what type of company it is:
Collectively, we are proud and passionate about providing the world’s best customer experience. This vision aligns with our mission — that we are earnest about achieving superior results. Our associates are inspired by their belief in the motivating principles of the Dynamic Organization and are determined to deliver an outstanding customer experience. – This is from a cellular phone company.
Here are a few more mission statements from the world’s top companies. See if you can identify the company:
- “To give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected.” – Facebook
- “To be one of the world’s leading producers and providers of entertainment and information, using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products.” – Disney
- “Dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit.” – Southwest Airlines
- OUR MISSION GREATLY EXCEEDS OUR GUESTS EXPECTATIONS
- We Shine in Everything We Do by exhibiting God’s love in every interaction with guests and team members.
- We Keep our Guests Safe by…
- Loving one another as we do ourselves.
- Thoroughly training every member of our team.
- Thoroughly training each and every guest.
- We Achieve Excellence through…
- Constantly encouraging and rewarding team members.
- Recognizing team members who go above and beyond.
- By doing all things in a manner consistent with the values and morals exhibited by Jesus Christ.
- We Constantly Improve by…
- Encouraging ideas from our team members and guests.
- By reading online reviews of our guests and learning from them.
- By managing safety and cleanliness.
- By presenting a clean, family-friendly, and safe environment.
- By setting the example for others both on the job and off.
- The last statement is one I created for a business I manage.
So today, I ask you, “What is the mission statement of the church?” What do you think?
Here is the mission statement from the Nazarene World Headquarters website.
The mission of the Church of the Nazarene is to make Christlike disciples in the nations.
We’re studying the mission of the Church this week
on Christian Holiness Daily.